posted Saturday October 27th, 2012
When I mentioned last week on Facebook that I was having trouble with my list of 50 things to do before I’m 50 (with thanks for the inspiration to my friend Megan, who came up with the idea for 30 before 30, a much more rationale notion!), I was bombarded with suggestions:
Zipline, skydive, bungee jump, learn to surf, drive a race car, snorkel, learn to belly dance/pole dance.
Suddenly, my life was looking pretty fucking great, because the truth is that not only have I never done any of those things, I have never had any desire at all to do them. And I’m not starting now.
Im fact. just knowing that I don’t have to any of these things makes me giddy. You made my day, friends. But please, by all means, jump out of that plane. Let me know how it goes.
One friend had the lovely suggestion that I volunteer to build a House for Humanity, but after I smashed a glass door just trying to move a table in my own home yesterday, I think my public service will be avoiding such opportunities. But I do have some volunteering-related items on the list.
No, I will not be trying sushi or anything else unusual (including garbanzo bean chocolate cookie dip) but I did really like my dear friend Deborah’s suggestion: “Kill a man. And get away with it.”
Too bad I was already up to 50 items when she mentioned it.
I’m not going to share my entire list (even for me, there’s such a thing as TMI) but here are a few items on it:
1. Keep blogging, at least once a week.
2. Jog a 5K.
6. Seriously consider getting a tattoo, but ultimately decide not to.
7. Buy new bath towels.
9. Organize my jewelry.
11. Seriously consider going to a high school/college/grad school reunion.
13. Buy sharp knives.
14. Organize my iTunes.
16. Go to Paris with my mother.
17. Write down (in one place) all the (really good) family recipes I can find.
18. Go to Seoul.
19. Renew my passport.
20. Go to Montreal.
21. Go to Vancouver.
22. Figure out a way to keep from losing the lids on Tupperware.
23. Wear sunglasses on a regular basis.
24. Buy a belt (and wear it).
25. Go to Mexico City.
26. Pitch a piece to the NYT magazine “Lives” column.
27. Play bingo.
28. Get a signature fragrance.
29. See Paul McCartney live in concert.
30. Make matzoh from scratch.
32. For once, do my taxes before April 15.
33. Drive cross country.
35. Throw out every pen in the house that doesn’t work.
36. Find a regular volunteer gig at Annabelle’s school.
37. Get a parttime gig teaching journalism.
38. Find the oral history tapes I did with Grandpa before he died.
39. See more live music.
40. Make a plate wall in my house.
41. Stop dyeing my hair.
42. Consider joining a temple.
44. Go to Vegas with Ray, stay at the Cosmopolitan, see a show.
45. Find a marketable skill other than journalism. (Just in case.)
46. Get a standard poodle and name it Opal. Or Ruby.
47. Go to San Francisco.
49. See old friends more often.
50. Live in the moment.
I better get going now. Got to get busy.